Sunday, November 18, 2012

Green Day Trilogy Review Part II - ¡Dos!

Well, it's that time again, Green Day has released a new album in their trilogy. As I recall, I gave Uno a pretty damn good review, but now it's time for ¡Dos!. If this album is anything like the last one, it'll get a pretty good review. So here is my review of ¡Dos! by Green Day.

Track one is called See You Tonight, and not only is it pretty damn short, it's slow and pretty weird, not like anything on Uno. There really isn't enough to talk about for me to say anything interesting about it.

Track two is called Fuck Time, and this is a pretty badass song overall, but I don't think the fuck in the name was necessary at all. I like it musically, and besides the name, it's pretty good lyrically, but the song seems to be centered around that one word. It almost seems like bad songwriting, but then again, the rest of the lyrics are great.

Track three is called Stop When The Red Lights Flash, and this song is fast and energetic, not to mention it was one of a few featured on my favorite TV show, CSI: NY. I'd feel weird if I didn't mention "Don't stop when the red lights flash" was a line in "Oh Love", the first single from Uno. This is a good song musically, pretty good lyrically, and all very energetic, which is what Green Day is known for.

Track four is called Lazy Bones, and this is one of my favorites because the whole "I'm too tired to be bored" theme describes how I feel so much. It rocks musically, and as I said, I love the lyrics. The whole thing hits pretty close to home, and in this case, that's a good thing. Green Day never fail to entertain me.

Track five is called Wild One and it almost sounds like a continuation of Lazy Bones with no lyrical relation. The lyrics are good, the music is great, and if it seems like I'm sucking up to Green Day here, it's because I normally don't buy and review albums I don't think I'll like. Overall, pretty good song.

Track six is called Makeout Party, and it rocks. The lyrics are kind of weird, but the music is great, and more than makes up for the facts that the lyrics hardly make sense to me. This is the kind of punk rock Green Day is known for, and I love it.

Track seven, and the first single off the album, is called Stray Heart, and it starts off with a great bass line by Mike Dirnt, and then you hear Billie Joe. The lyrics are great, the music is good, although the chorus is a bit too simple. The weirdest thing though was the music video, which looks like it belongs at an indie film festival. I'd like to meet the director of that video.

Track eight is called Ashley, which is the first line of the song and the murder weapon of headphone users. This song is very energetic, and while I believe songs named after a girl is way too cliched, it doesn't mean they're all bad, and this one is very good.

Track nine is called Baby Eyes, and it's another loud, energetic song. Great musically, good lyrically, and one I'd love to see live. I don't have that much to say about it besides that.

Track ten is called Lady Cobra, which I think is the name of the rapper on the next track, and this is a very energetic song, with great lyrics, and kick-ass punk sound. The one thing is, like many of the other songs, it's too short. This could've been a lot longer than the final product.

Track eleven is called Nightlife, and this song was criticized because it was very experimental, and included a female rapper. The rapping was okay, but was a bit excessive, Billie Joe was great, the lyrics he sang rocked, and the whole song was great musically. Personally, I think these critics are complaining about nothing, but that's just me.

Track twelve is called Wow! That's Loud, and while the name is appropriate, it could've been louder. Despite this, the song is good lyrically, great musically, and it's energetic, and will make headphone users say Wow! That's Loud!

Track thirteen (yes, this is the only one in the trilogy that had thirteen tracks and not twelve), is called Amy, and was a tribute to Amy Winehouse, who passed away recently. The song was great lyrically, musically, and is catchy as hell. And it's a much slower song, which we didn't see much of on Uno, and is appropriate, considering the subject matter. A great way to end the thing.

Overall I give ¡Dos! a 9/10. It still has a lot of the in your face punk from Uno, but was more musically diverse. You have the loud, energetic punk, like Stop When The Red Lights Flash, but you also get a break from that, like on Amy. That's two of three in the Green Day trilogy, considering how diverse this was, and how awesome The Forgotten is, I can't wait for ¡Tré!. However, seeing as that won't be out until December, and I probably won't be able to get it until Christmas, I'll have to enjoy ¡Uno! and ¡Dos! for now. That's it for today's review, tune in next time when I review ¡Tré!... well, most likely, but before you go, it's time for another edition of "Did The Director Of Eraserhead Direct The New Green Day Video?"

No comments:

Post a Comment