Saturday, October 6, 2012

Marilyn Manson Born Villain Review!!!

Hey guys,
So I've been a fan of Marilyn Manson for a few years, and I've been putting this review off for a while. This is long overdue, so here it is, my review of Marilyn Manson's Born Villain.
Track one, Hey Cruel World, starts out with some slow guitar and electric stuff. Then Marilyn starts singing, and you can tell this'll be great. Then it starts rocking. And you realize this was the song that I Am Among No One was from. The heavy guitar, and dark vocals make this a great start to the album.
Track two, and the lead single, is called No Reflection; However the album version is a lot longer than the single version (like Storytime for Nightwish). The first verse was very low, but then got more upbeat, and then the chorus, which rocked. The guitar and drums are great, however this isn't one of my favorites.
Track three is called Pistol Whipped and it starts out with some quiet gears cranking, and then guitar, with electric stuff. And then you hear breathing. The vocals come in, and this is probably one of the ones I like less, due to the slow tempo, and gears at the beginning. However, the chorus was great, so I won't say it was completely bad.
Track four is called Overneath The Path Of Misery, and this one was leaked early, but the album begins with a long Shakespeare quote. Then the guitar comes in at it rocks. Due to hearing the song on YouTube, I recognize a lot of the lyrics. A lot of Shakespeare references, yet still able to rock. And then the chorus comes in and rocks.
Track five is called Slo-Mo-Tion, and originally, I wasn't into this song, but I've gotten around to liking it, since I saw the video. It kind of reminds me of Putting Holes In Happiness, but the lyrics are completely different. I honestly don't know what this song is supposed to be about, but that's what I love about Manson, his songs are so complex, that sometimes I can't understand what they mean. He truly is an artist.
Track 6 is called The Gardener, and I'm not into this song, mainly because it's almost all spoken word, almost like a musical poem, which further proves Manson is an artist, and not just a musician, but I hate spoken word. I just don't like it for some reason. So this song is a good song overall, but I personally don't like it.
Track 7 is called The Flowers Of Evil, and while that name sounds awful, this is a very good song. It takes a while to get going, but once it does, it becomes an awesome work of industrial metal. This is a prime example of the darkness that Manson is known for.
Track 8 is called Children Of Cain, and while it is a slower song, it is incredibly catchy. It is very dark and gloomy, which is good, because you don't want a bubbly song from Marilyn Manson. The lyrics are complex, but not too complex (Too complex = Not catchy), and the music is dark, but rocks.
Track 9 is called Disengaged, and it starts with breathing on the mic, and then it gets good. This is actually the shortest song on the album, but is still really good, which makes me wish it was longer. The chorus rocks, and really brings this song to life.
Track 10 is called Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms, and with a title like that, I'm not surprised that there's a lot of unnecessary profanity in this song, but I still enjoyed it, the lyrics are good, besides the unnecessary cursing, the music kicks ass, and the chorus rocks.
Track 11 is called Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day and this song kicks ass. It's fast, it rocks, the guitar is badass, and the lyrics rock. This is a less artistic song on the album, but I love it.
Track 12 is the title track Born Villain, and while this is a slower song, it's very dark, and the lyrics are awesome. It's almost 5 and a half minutes, so you have a lot to work with. This is a work of art as well as a rock song. The end verse kicks ass, and I almost wish this were the last song on the album, but if it were, we wouldn't have this next one.
Track 13 is called Breaking The Same Old Ground, and you'd think from the beginning this would be a slow, but dark rock song, but it's actually more emotional and slow. I like it, but I almost wish a rock song were the last one, well, an original one.
Track 14 is a cover of You're So Vain by Carly Simon with Johnny Depp (Yes, the actor) on guitar. I honestly never know Johnny Depp was such a good guitarist, and Manson did great on the vocals, not trying to copy Carly Simon (but, let's be honest, how could he?).
Overall Thoughts: 8/10. While there were songs on here I didn't enjoy, I love the majority. Marilyn Manson is one of the few true artists in the music business today, and this album proves it to those who deny it. Manson is a creative genius and I love this album, I just wish it came with a lyric booklet. Damn independent labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment